What do u think?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Geko

Geko

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I want ur oppinion about my works, im still working on my blog, trying to understand how to edit it, i hope i have it done by february. Plz critique my work.

Posted Image
This one is made in PS, all curves. I have some im my blog, but in black, here is a finished one.

Posted Image
This one is the menu for a restaurant here, it was picked so i hope u like it.

Posted Image

And this one is just PS art, made just with brush, no effects added, well, a little bit of blur.

#2 bigyou

bigyou

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hey Geko, here are my thoughts on your work.

1_ I think this is nice stuff. Some interesting path work :) And I'm a fan of orange on black... Great work.

2_ I think the way you used the pictures in separated rectangles is quite interesting. Not sure about the type work tough. I don't think that using as much fonts as you did in this work is very appropriated. Maybe using a little bit less fonts would make the overall piece feel a little bit more contant from cover 1 to cover 4. Try limiting yourself to 2 or 3 different fonts. One for titles and one for running text.

3_ Nice brush work ! Why not use this piece with other brush work ? Make a nice illustration out of it ?

Hope this helps !
Youan L. Gagnon - Graphic Designer | Portfolio

#3 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

I am not fan of photoshop art so I wont comment on those.

The menu card got too much fonts. You need to use far less, because there are fonts that looks like its a chic restaurant and also font for Asian types restaurant. And it no way to see what kind of restaurant it actually is. Also too much unfilled spaces which is unneeded. Not fan of tatoo techy symbols. Only thing looks good are the pictures of the food.

#4 Geko

Geko

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I am not fan of photoshop art so I wont comment on those.

The menu card got too much fonts. You need to use far less, because there are fonts that looks like its a chic restaurant and also font for Asian types restaurant. And it no way to see what kind of restaurant it actually is. Also too much unfilled spaces which is unneeded. Not fan of tatoo techy symbols. Only thing looks good are the pictures of the food.

First of all, thanks, and second, thats the cover of the menu, agree, too much types but actually only 3 are used, one for the restaurant title (they dint want me to make a logo so i dint) the top type for each kind of food (labeled as meat, birds, salads, drinks etc) and the 3rd one used for the content.

And plz never say again tatoo symbols, its a celtic knot, the actual size is tabloid, thats why filled spaces, it loked really empty. (its in spanish by the way). Thanks Chung Dha, i really appreciate ur words

#5 entz

entz

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

Out of all.. i feel that the menu looks more "finish". The 1st illustration is nice, but you need to work on your curvatures.. they should be nice curves. Right now some are not really smooth. And i would lose the drop shadows.. looks too much like school work. Hope that does not offend. The 3rd artwork, i've seen this before. It's a bit too photoshopish. Looks like you've just created a shape and apply some filters to it. If you need to use photoshop, try to never use the filters. It will make your design look gimmicky. Even for shadows, you should try to create it manually. Keep up the good work! :)

#6 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

I am not into celtic stuff so should not know that.

I should have ment too much different kinds of font showing different themes.

The titles are kind of cheap asian restaurants could use. I hate those designers using those types to point out it is asian.

Les Jardines writtin font are chic a expensive restaurant.

And inside the red box are allot of fonts and those look kind of youth or new age type of restaurants. That red box and celtic isnt giving extra to the overal design you could leave those two out and just place the name just very big there and would filled it inof.

However you should fill the left top though with some more food pictures.

#7 ~V~

~V~

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

I'm more fond of the black and white line drawings on your blog then the one you've shown above, because I think the simple pen and ink quality does a lot more for the design then the effects and color.

Regarding the menu, I like celtic design, but I'm not quite sure how it fits on a menu for a mexican restaurant. I think you're heading in the right direction using a warm color palette. I agree that the fonts needs some work. Also I think you try to include some photos that aren't "cut up." There are really nice images, but sectioning them like you've done is a bit distracting and doesn't work for me.
"Why?"
-------------------------
http://vdesigns.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users