&nsbp;

#1 adambender

adambender

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hello there,

I just completed a smoke illlustration using Illustrator. Please have a look and let me know what you think of it. I'm always looking for ways to improve. Thanks. http://www.adambende...com/smoke.shtml

#2 Heracles

Heracles

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:34 PM

I like it! I like the fact that you're trying to do it with Illustrator ;)

Just one thing, I think it look more like flames (probably because of the shape) than smoke, espacely the first example. but your getting there :)

#3 adambender

adambender

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

I think you are right. I should try to rearrange the shape to be more smoke like. Also, I think I will change the color and try to make these look like fire, since the shape it already there. I'll try to combine them in the end to get a smoke and fire illustration.

Thanks for the comments.

#4 Heracles

Heracles

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

I think you are right. I should try to rearrange the shape to be more smoke like. Also, I think I will change the color and try to make these look like fire, since the shape it already there. I'll try to combine them in the end to get a smoke and fire illustration.

Thanks for the comments.

Be sure to post the results, I'm curious to see :D

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

If you create a new editing layer for color - you can adjust the color of the smoke. I actually read a tutorial for this yesterday for photoshop. - background - gradient grey to white - new layer - make box within the background, fill with black - use the render/lens flare - mess with colors to make the black dissapear - make it black and white - then the fun part, - do filter/distort/wave with about 5 generators - hit okay - then go to Edit .. edit Fade and mess around with that --- to get some twists and such just go to Distort again... and click on Twirl --- maybe I'm missing something? - oh yeah - if you want it to have an extra sort of glow to it and more 3D'ish - duplicate the layer you've been working on - now do a gausian blur to it - adjust the brightness a bit so its brighter (but not too bright) -- adjust the opacity to about 25 percent -- like Emeral says, BAM and your done! lol

oh and if you liquify them, you can make it look like glowing streems of lava / neon - whatever! lol

very well done though - instead of re-aranging the shape - make a few copy layers and change the opacity, move them around some - change their size, maybe liquify some of em a little more - till you have your space you want done finished with this wonderful smoke effect. -- im relatively new to illustrator - but i believe it has the same distort options :D -- just wondering is this how you did it? with what I explained i read on a tutorial? if not - please tell me how you did it in illustrator lol! please :D

later
Nicholas

#6 adambender

adambender

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:38 AM

Hi Nicolas,

The way I did it was create a few rectangles (on different layers) and made them mesh objects. I used the direct selection tool to make "smoke" like shapes (outlines). Then, using the direct select tool, I selected paths through the mesh and applied different hues of black and white to them. I then reduced the transparencies and played with the "screen" transparency and the "feather" effect. That's it in a nut shell.

I'm going to try your suggestion and copy a few layers and play more with the opacity.

Thanks for the tips.

Adam

#7 Nicholas

Nicholas

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:07 AM

Nice, I havn't thought about doing it that way. I'll have to give it a try when I need to do some smoke.

You're welcome, and thanks for sharing :D

Nicholas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users