Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

Thoughts on my site?

http://www.cibgraphics.com

Just to let you know--

I wanted it to be mainly one color
and I will be changing the color of the text to something much darker, so please don't comment on it. Its already going to change.

#2 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

any feedback would be great...

#3 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:29 AM

Hi Cib, I love the work in your portfolio. That's the good news.

The bad news is your website looks a bit bland to me...it needs something to make it stand out from the crowd. Maybe some contrasting color somewhere? Monochromatic sites are sometimes not the best way to go, because there is nothing to catch your eye.

If you are looking for search engine traffic, you might have a hard time getting any. You have no metatags, and very little text. I ran your site through 2 different sites that will help you see how search engines will see your site, and it scored relatively poorly on both. They offer suggestions to improve your search engine standings. Here are links to them if you are interested:

http://www.silktide....tools/sitescore
http://tools.summitmedia.co.uk/spider/

SEO may not be an issue for your site, but rest assured that every web design client you get will ask you about it.

I also ran your site through the W3C validator to see if your code validated. It tossed up 8 errors, mostly from CSS being within the HTML, and the lack of a DOCTYPE statement at the beginning of the code. Validation is important, to make sure that everything works properly, and also search engines love a well coded page.

All in all, with a little splash of color and some work on the coding, I think you have a great site!
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#4 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the response. Ive been looking for ways to improve my site. More color has been on my mind for a long time. This webpage was something I had to get out very fast (hence the bad coding) Now that I have some time, I want to make a completley different webpage that has more color and interativity.

Any more suggestions?

#5 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

Now that I have some time, I want to make a completley different webpage that has more color and interativity.

My achromatic website has been incomplete for months...the coding on my front page is good...horrid on my portfolio, for the same reason...speed LOL

I figure it's kind of like being a mechanic that drives a horrible car....if I am getting paid to work on other sites...why bother with mine? :p

And if I keep redesigning it, I won't ever have to write the content LOL
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#6 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

lol I know what you mean. At the time I was designing the current webpage, i was interviewing for design jobs, so I wanted to get a half-way decent looking webpage to show my portfolio (my last one which is in my portfolio, was something I did in class at school and was horrible) But I think now I have a half-way decent one (kinda) I can spend time on a really good one, without having to worry about employers looking at it (cuz i already got a job)

Any good suggestions on what I could incorperate into the new one? Whenever I start it.

#7 xidesign

xidesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

The concept is pritty cool tho, but the font type peeps.. This font type is standard and it messes up the whole layout. Because of the font it loses his professionality (sorry for from spelling)

#8 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Im going to be making a much better one here shortly. Thanks for your comments. Which font are you talking about. The one on the links, or the body text?

If it is the body text, what type face would you suggest?

#9 hooperman

hooperman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

Hi cibgraphics,

why not try a sans-serif font like verdana or Trebuchet? I know they're quite common, but I think it might look a little better than the one you currently use on your body text.

Also what about changing the border colour of the images in the links on your portfolio page when you hover over them? I think that would look good.

#10 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Im actually in the development of a brand new page, so i wont be making any updates to the current one.
Quality Graphic Design
Cibgraphics.com

#11 Bleu_Fish

Bleu_Fish

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

Asking people what they think about your website is always a touchy area. Creative people aren't the best at taking ANY type of criticism, and for that I think you have done the right thing.

You looked for suggestions and have taken the suggestions, and are working on a brand new page. I am very interested to see how that turns out for you.
Steven Tomlin
Bleu Fish Media
www.bleufishmedia.com
G E T B L E U A N D G E T N O T I C E D

#12 cibgraphics

cibgraphics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:58 PM

So am I lol. One of the things I love about design, is that even I don't really know how its going to end up, until Im finished. I have a idea, but yeah. You know what I mean.
Quality Graphic Design
Cibgraphics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users