Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

work in progress - flash site for a photographer

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:32 AM

I am in the progress of creating a website for a photographer. Would appreciate any C&C. Thanks in advance!
for the moment it can be found here: http://www.photomariage.com/ep

#2 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:01 AM

First up ....lol the pre-loader says loading 99% the whole time it is loading. I would make a fade into the site maybe make a box the color of the background and make it alpha out to 0% opacity to sort of you fade you into the site....I would make the music on the menu button roll-overs a little less loud. I would also make the whole site look a bit darker ...most photographers - at least here in the US - seem to have darker sites (more professional looking). It also seems like the rest of the site does not quite belong with the flash part...nothing really ties it together except the blue color....the logos are different! lol I am assuming you are still trying to get them to settle with one logo ;) I would also try to use elements on the flash part to tie the HTML part of the site to it i.e. use some of those circular photos in the HTML part and ohh I don't know lol your the designer there has to be more you can tie together....

Thats my C&C

Boy! am I gonna get it when I post one of my sites :D

There is some good flash work though I know doing stuff like that map of france with all the states (is that what you call them) all connected to seperate pages (time consuming) Some nice stuff ! But yuou can make it NICER!
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

• Guests

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the comments! I mean it! Yes, there is still a lot of work to be done, as for the links the are temporary and lead to a different site.

#4 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:15 AM

oh my bad! lol

#5 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

In general, I like the site...but I personally despise it when the designer hijacks my cursor and makes it into something else....also are you planning on having the pictures animated in anyway? I think that would be a nice touch.
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#6 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hi Resurepus,

Regarding your work on that site, I think that the floating menu is a little too much because when mouseover they get real big.
The colors. You are thinking in adding a third color, right?
One last thing, I love the logo and the smothness of the spinning objective, However and don't like the hat. You know what? Reminds me the spies on the MAD tv. :)
Overall, it's very good.
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#7 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

It's always important to question yourself what Flash-techniques will add to a website.
At the moment, it only sort of annoys me. Sounds negative, not meant liked that :)

Menu for example:
Text overlaps the other buttons when scaled up on mouse-over.
The sound for a mouse-over is too much present in my opinion.
If you decide to do sound, I'd only pick a short "Tzzzt" instead of "Tzzz . Tzzzt".

The rest of what you have can be done easily in HTML too which in the end is still more accessible for most users (shame though).

Just if you go for Flash, make use out of Flash.
If your client wishes for a Flash-website: You are designer and know about stuff. Advise a client on the possibilities. For what I see now, Flash is not really needed.

Meant as constructive critique :)

#8 Shutterbug

Shutterbug

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

I would like to see simpler buttons, maybe in css. Since it is a photographer page, I would also like to see a majority of the emphasis on the photos starting with the index page. Right now, the photos are in a filmstrip border taking, for me, a relatively small portion of the page.

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:48 PM

the page has been redone completely to be more classic, you can find the new layout (work still in progress) at

#10 Shutterbug

Shutterbug

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:08 AM

Much cleaner now. Although, I wish more of the physical emphasis was on the pictures since it is a photography site. Right now it is on the bottom right of the site. Maybe top right would give it more emphasis.

#11 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

Hi resurepus,

It's much better now.
But somehow, it's a little big i.e big font size, big icons/swf buttons, the logo is too big.
If you resize it you will definately find more space to better organise the site layout and I'm sure that new ideas will come out.
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#12 rtbenson

rtbenson

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

Go to http://internettinyawards.com/ click "Archive", select "Photography" as a category and hit search. Notice how all the photo sites are 99% based on actual photos with intuitive navigation, and contain very little text. IMO, a photographer's site should greatly emphasize his photos, and make them nice and large so that the viewers can really savor them.

#13 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:52 AM

Hi resurepus,

It's much better now.
But somehow, it's a little big i.e big font size, big icons/swf buttons, the logo is too big.
If you resize it you will definately find more space to better organise the site layout and I'm sure that new ideas will come out.

yea it's a bit too big but it definitly looks nicer overall....

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

the flash player scales it to fit the screen, however the site is meant to be much smaller and placed at the center of the screen. It will be done once the .swf file is embedded in .html Thanks for the comments!

#15 netware

netware

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

id like the fonts more white to create more contrast and be easier to read.
once u code the site, give it a contrasting backgound(html), to induce/direct the viewer to the site(the swf file),

really good layout, better than the one before
------------------------------------------------
Netware design studios - Designer -
http://www.ntwdesigns.com/index.html

#16 Max

Max

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 262 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

What a charming logo! I like the combination of a black background and grey text. The only one thing I would recommend is to move the logo higher to the top line of button. :)

#17 Cartageno

Cartageno

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

I like very much the animated logo. But I think there is something wrong at the homepage, maybe the size of the text in relation with the size of the titles, I don´t know. You should explore the sizes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users