• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

This is something I did for a client some time ago but I had made a short W.I.P. for it and I thought I would share it here. This was part of a larger project and I spent so much time staring at it that I'm curious what fresh eyes would see that I may have missed. I was never happy with the reflections, what do you think?

At the time of the shoot, the client didn't know what direction to go with the ad campaign so the berries were shot on a plain background. Below is the before and after image (minus the type from the ad). I selected a few berries and dropped them out on a neutral background to start the job.

Posted Image

And here is the WIP: http://i268.photobuc...IP/WIPsteps.gif

#2 N.T.Designs

N.T.Designs

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

Hello,
I'm not quite sure what direction you are trying to go. There should be a clear difference between the shadows and reflections. Possibly have the fruit placed on a table to help distinguishing the shadows and reflections. It also lacks depth and color.

#3 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:37 AM

Yes this was a bit of a headache to produce but a fun photoshop challenge for me too. I had to do a test shot with a fake strawberry in our inhouse photo studio to try and create a lighting condition with a long shadow going in one direction while the berry reflection appeared to be on a semi mirror-like surface. Then have the client approve that, so I could recreate the whole thing in photoshop.

Bottom line, it was cheaper for me to recreate it in photoshop than it would have been to go back into a real photo studio and reshoot the berries in this way. ;)

#4 N.T.Designs

N.T.Designs

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:09 AM

I see what you're saying. If you're ever having a tough time with a design, I find it very helpful to find a tutorial that is similar to what you are doing, it gives you an insight on how to get the look you want. I look at tutorials in my spare time to get inspiration for designs and to learn new techniques. Here is a great site for Photoshop tutorials, Psdtuts+ | Adobe Photoshop tutorials, from beginner to advanced.
I'm no expert designer, but it's all just trial and error. Do you have a portfolio? I'd love to see more work. Feel free to check out mine..
Nicolas Tobin | Online Portfolio

#5 Bahamoth

Bahamoth

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

ahmm, i think you did this on a bad day dude? you didn't have much in mind in making the image, really need lots of changes, anyway just a my opinion and by the way its really is a headache on to which direction it'll drop ? or something.....

#6 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I look at tutorials in my spare time to get inspiration for designs and to learn new techniques. Here is a great site for Photoshop tutorials, Psdtuts+ | Adobe Photoshop tutorials, from beginner to advanced.
I'm no expert designer, but it's all just trial and error. Do you have a portfolio? I'd love to see more work. Feel free to check out mine..

Thanks for the link. I never get tired of looking at tutorials. Always something to learn. :)

And as for my portfolio, I've been at my current job for over 10 years and I have only gathered printed samples over the years but have not gathered my work into an online portfolio. It is something I'm working on now. Something to do when I get free time!

#7 N.T.Designs

N.T.Designs

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

ahmm, i think you did this on a bad day dude? you didn't have much in mind in making the image, really need lots of changes, anyway just a my opinion and by the way its really is a headache on to which direction it'll drop ? or something.....

Out of respect for Stev27, he is looking for a critique, some words of wisdom that will be helpful to his design. As a designer, I just feel as though it's disrespectful to talk bad about someone's work rather than critique it.

#8 DixielandDesign

DixielandDesign

• Designer
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

Out of respect for Stev27, he is looking for a critique, some words of wisdom that will be helpful to his design. As a designer, I just feel as though it's disrespectful to talk bad about someone's work rather than critique it.

I totally agree with you N.T, If you are going to be negative then be ready to offer positive advice on how to fix what you see wrong. Sure is the picture perfect no, however it is not too bad, there are some shadow misdirections which can be easily fixed but I feel the composition is done quite nicely. If you want to be critical at least be able to offer your help for improvement.

Vince

Designers are meant to be loved, not to be understood. — Fabien Barral

#9 mondi_design

mondi_design

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

That's awesome!I think it was a lot of work wasn't it?But the good think is that it looks as it was real! I'm impressed!:D

This is something I did for a client some time ago but I had made a short W.I.P. for it and I thought I would share it here. This was part of a larger project and I spent so much time staring at it that I'm curious what fresh eyes would see that I may have missed. I was never happy with the reflections, what do you think?

At the time of the shoot, the client didn't know what direction to go with the ad campaign so the berries were shot on a plain background. Below is the before and after image (minus the type from the ad). I selected a few berries and dropped them out on a neutral background to start the job.

Posted Image

#10 Neo-Graphix

Neo-Graphix

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image

Good work. I like how you have a little color in the shadow and different points of light sources.

#11 Neo-Graphix

Neo-Graphix

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I see what you're saying. If you're ever having a tough time with a design, I find it very helpful to find a tutorial that is similar to what you are doing, it gives you an insight on how to get the look you want. I look at tutorials in my spare time to get inspiration for designs and to learn new techniques. Here is a great site for Photoshop tutorials, Psdtuts+ | Adobe Photoshop tutorials, from beginner to advanced.

Did you get that t-shirt printed? That's my speciality. Apparel design.

#12 N.T.Designs

N.T.Designs

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

Did you get that t-shirt printed? That's my speciality. Apparel design.

Are you referring to the design on my portfolio? If so, then no, I didn't get it printed. I created the design because I was bored and thought it would look good on a shirt. So I found photoshop t-shirt templates and put the design on it. I would love to get it printed though. I think they would sell.

#13 geaurizki

geaurizki

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

I never use photoshop..

#14 pen8525

pen8525

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

I think you blackberries look fine, but the strawberry mirror image needs to be titled back toward the strawberry a little. I also don't think the red fruit shades being red also looks right. If strawberry and raspberry shadows where the same color as the other shadows it would look perfect.

#15 ttd503

ttd503

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Very interesting, I never would've thought to add in those shadows. It definitely looks like you put a lot of thought and work into this :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photoshop, wip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users