Please critique

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

So, I have been trying to get design work for a long time, and I get jobs here and there, but I want to design full time. Let me know if my stuff is good enough to take the leap! Please, any comments will help. If you don't like it, you won't hurt my feelings! Just let me know what you think!
www.typhoongraphix.com

Edited by Drokho, 11 October 2009 - 04:42 AM.
No one is leaving any comments :(

#2 graphix

graphix

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:46 AM

You've got some pretty solid work in there. Those are some nice websites you made. And that Metallica jacket looks pretty cool too.

#3 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

You've got some pretty solid work in there. Those are some nice websites you made. And that Metallica jacket looks pretty cool too.

Thank you graphix! I am so glad someone finally responded! And with positive things to say! I really appreciate your response.

#4 graphix

graphix

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

Sure thing! Good luck with your application.

#5 Drokho

Drokho

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

Thanx!

#6 alryts

alryts

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

nice work with a little more imagination youll be doin great, i know u have it in you ..:)

#7 monimen

monimen

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

smaller typography will looks more professional

#8 HippieFaerie

HippieFaerie

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

It takes a bit too much to load. That's not good if you really want someone to stay and take a look. You can try making it a little bit lighter.

#9 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

I think your site would be stronger if the thumbnails were static. I found it annoying to try to click on one before it left my screen. I just looked at some of your print design and liked what I saw. Good luck!

#10 Geko

Geko

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:23 AM

It loaded fine for me, I liked your printed work and website, the flash part was the only one I think you can work a little. Great job and good luck with your application

#11 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

This is a solid website (except for the moving thumbnail part KHDZN mentioned) and you have solid work.... so I don't know why you're not getting more jobs. I would work on marketing yourself better. After all how can you get hired if nobody knows about you? :D I know Smashing Magazine : Smashing Magazine
and Freelance Switch: http://freelanceswitch.com/
have some great articles about this. Hope this helps!

#12 asankaw

asankaw

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:46 AM

I saw ur profile. u hv cool designs. But I think if you dont use red color, it's better 4 u.

Cheers...!

#13 elp

elp

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

The aforementioned scrolling portfolio is definitely bothersome, and also I was reading something about a webpage that is based completely as a flash does is not found by most search engines so that could be cutting down on the amount of people who view your site, but for the most part I marketing yourself better would be key. Your logo of a b could be bit better, but over all I though the site was very successful.

#14 Raivis Petersons

Raivis Petersons

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

So, I have been trying to get design work for a long time, and I get jobs here and there, but I want to design full time. Let me know if my stuff is good enough to take the leap! Please, any comments will help. If you don't like it, you won't hurt my feelings! Just let me know what you think!
Brandon Gamble's Online Portfolio

I didn't like in your home page the print page layout my head was spining i little get sick... i think very bad option you used, but home page looks quite good... not bad works !! :)

#15 Rage of Reason

Rage of Reason

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:04 AM

You obviously have good design skills. I particularly liked the art in the print work section. The flash department contains good work, but personally I dislike the countdown start of flash before animations begin to show. Some of the web sites take quite long to download, although they look nice once the download is completed. Perhaps using your skills in a somewhat different way would get potential employers interested. The guy that made the Wipe the world's ass web site probably has a similar level of technical skill as you do, but he has made his art easier to access by carefully deciding upon his priorities and enticing visitors to take a peek at his work. If more clicks are required on a site it does not necessarilly mean visitors will lose interest - waiting for a page to load is worse. I hope there are some useful things in this comment. The best of luck with your applications.

#16 rapanui

rapanui

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

Cool site and great work. I must however agree with some of the comments above about the print section, I think the automatic scrolling is either unnecessary or at least it should go a bit slower and smoother, since the user doesn't really have time to focus his eyes on any of your creations, which is a shame. The site loaded fine, but I would tend to use a different animation when waiting for the site to load, maybe with a smaller font, a touch of color, or even a cool graphic to give it a bit more flavor and introduce the user to your world from the start. Anyway, these are just suggestions and overall a nice solid site. All the best for the future : )

#17 iTL

iTL

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

youv got some good work there, i think maybe the site is a little to dark? as for do we think your good enough to be a full time designer, just keep applying for jobs! youl get a position one day and thats when you will probably start to develop your graphic skills the most. Every one starts somewhere. ive got a few friends that spent a year doing a part time (non-design) job and spent the rest of there time building a portfolio out of self directed projects. its a good way to really express your self as a designer. and lets potential employers see your creative style.

#18 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:56 PM

Nice job! I like the college art show invitation and Metallica CD cover best. This is just my opinion, but I think you should try more bold/thicker sans-serif fonts instead of using mostly thin/light serif fonts.

Your websites and flash examples are great too! I'd love to see even more samples.

As far as the website goes, I like the pensive photo on the bottom right since it gives your page some character. I'm not a huge fan of the scrolling thumbnails in the print section. If you do keep them I'd suggest making them pause when a visitor hovers over a thumbnail.

Overall, I think you're doing some good work. I'm sure you'll do well as a designer! :)
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users