• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

Hi all! been a while since I posted some finished work here... anyways here's an entry I did for UNESCO's international festival of cultural diverstiy. I decided to get my feet wet and participate in an international contest :D !! so w/o further adue... here it is!

basically the colors define the man, and to put it in borader specs the varity of cultures on our earth define our humanity. the squares also represent sone work, w/ each block supporting the others

if you want to see the other entries (and maybe vote for mine if you come across it :) ) go HERE

Edited by Rockhart, 09 June 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#2 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

you guys are allowed to critique it... tear it apart if you want ;P

• Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

I see diversity, but I don't see culture in this poster...

#4 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

yeah that was a tough problem... according to the design brief we were not supposed to represent any specific culture in our logo (which I interprited as creating an abstract refrence to all cultures. i.e. the colors representing a multitude of cultures) but yes I see your point... I suppose I could of done paint brushes and insturments .. but the festival involves so much more than just the visual arts... it was just tough to design lol. any suggestions about how i could have done it?

#5 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

yeah that was a tough problem... according to the design brief we were not supposed to represent any specific culture in our logo (which I interprited as creating an abstract refrence to all cultures. i.e. the colors representing a multitude of cultures) but yes I see your point... I suppose I could of done paint brushes and insturments .. but the festival involves so much more than just the visual arts... it was just tough to design lol. any suggestions about how i could have done it?

I think this needs to be more playful. The typography needs some work, though I understand what you are trying to do I still think you should have each of the letters work off of one another. Notice if you look where the first letter of each meet you will see they are not lined off of one another therefore you have no cohesiveness.

Look at the image attached below ;)

Also play with your fonts, use different weights and sizes to get your message across. You said this is a logo, make it look like a logo It almost is layed out like a poster at the moment.

As for how to show cultural diversity...what do you think of when you think of that? Do some research. Ask yourself "what is cultural diversity" Maybe in each box a different flag of a different nation? but not the entire flag...just pieces of it or specific Symbols from it.

There...I think i am done now lol

Edited by .:FMD, 02 June 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#6 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Thanks! Yeah, typography is definitely my weak spot lol. Right now I just design by what feels good… even though I’m a graphic design major I haven’t started my actual graphic design classes (I Had to take intro art classes and then make it through the gate) so I start this fall. But you’re right about the text not lining up and not flowing… idk I have a lot to learn :D. Also do you think it feels like a poster because its more of a horizontal composition? Thanks for the crit!

#7 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Thanks! Yeah, typography is definitely my weak spot lol. Right now I just design by what feels good… even though I’m a graphic design major I haven’t started my actual graphic design classes (I Had to take intro art classes and then make it through the gate) so I start this fall. But you’re right about the text not lining up and not flowing… idk I have a lot to learn :D. Also do you think it feels like a poster because its more of a horizontal composition? Thanks for the crit!

Hey no problem, I had no idea what was good design until i took a type course. You will either love typography or hate it. I fell in love with it and wish I would have taken more courses in it.

As for your question about the poster, Well its the composition of your layout so yes the horizontal composition, the fact that both the type and the logo are fighting for hierarchy. I definitely think you need to go back and play some more. You are a college student so experiment!

Now go and play young padiwan :D

#8 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

lol will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users