• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 marrrk

marrrk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

any comments or suggests will be very appreciated.

1Posted ImagePosted Image
2Posted ImagePosted Image
3Posted ImagePosted Image
4Posted ImagePosted Image
5Posted ImagePosted Image
6http://img253.images...bymarrrkeg9.jpghttp://img253.images....jpg/1/w500.png
7http://img80.imagesh...1672/9thzy9.jpghttp://img80.imagesh....jpg/1/w850.png

#2 marrrk

marrrk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:41 AM

8Posted ImagePosted Image
9Posted ImagePosted Image
10Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 k-999

k-999

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

what are u trying to do here? i like the simplicity of image 9. what's with the phour? is it the name of the company? =)

#4 marrrk

marrrk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

what are u trying to do here? i like the simplicity of image 9. what's with the phour? is it the name of the company? =)

i'm really not trying to do anything besides make something that looks appealing (to me atleast), this is just personal work. "phour" is just a play on words (instead of four), but i'd really like some constructive criticism by fellow designers

#5 2ndFloorDesign

2ndFloorDesign

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

It's nice that you'd like to spend time creating art for yourself or for your portfolio. But keep in mind, if you ever want to work for clients and get paid, you need to work for them, not designing pretty things for yourself. They're youre boss when it comes to pleasing a client.

As far as the items you have here, they're nice photoshop work, but I don't get any messages from them. Great designs ultimately send a message to the viewer, and I'm not getting any of that. If you want to go into the field of photo editing and stock photo selling, that's great. But as a graphic designer, this is far away from message-targeted designing and leaves the viewer wondering "what the heck is that for?".

Nice photo work though... ;)

#6 Zpsy

Zpsy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

i ilike it .... specialy the one that says : White widow.. have won more cannabis cups than any before :p lol when next cannabis world cup starts? :D i would like to see the judges )))

#7 juluque

juluque

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

I like your art, art not necessarily has to have a function, like some members mentioned. Don't even need to provide a message, at least not a direct message, but images can suggest so many things. I recommend the viewer to relax and do not try to read the artist, just enjoy the image. Perhaps this is not the site to show art if this is only related to design, design then need to have a function and a reason.
However is good for designer to see some art. After all art is the main source of design.
To the artist: Keep playing, that is what ultimately will make you strong when you need to create a concept with a particular need or use.
Cheers.

Edited by juluque, 23 October 2008 - 01:57 AM.

#8 marrrk

marrrk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:51 AM

i really appreciate everyone's comments, now to reply: 2ndfloor, i get what you're saying, that i'm pretty much wasting time or something cause i'm not doing client work so the is no money to be earned..i'm just an 18 year old tho who really got into photoshop and appreciates good graphic design, i've only create images for my pleasure but art aspect is what makes graphic design so interesting to me, not the money to be made. but i just started school for graphic design so hopefully i'll be doing cliental work eventually

#9 juluque

juluque

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

Good answer Marrrk, there is not such thing as wasting the time. The design process is a long way and require experimentation, playing and imagination, not only an answer to a client requirement. Good designers need to develop an strong character and sometimes rules. Innovation and creativity are important to do not become a traditional, safe, conventional designer. Do not take all the opinions seriously, specially in site where there are all kind of designers.
Keep enjoying and experimenting, you are just 18 and you need to learn to enjoy your work before responding to a client needs.
Good luck in your journey.

Edited by juluque, 23 October 2008 - 05:29 AM.

#10 inntoon

inntoon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

My favorite one is number 9. It looks the most like there might be some meaning attached to it. It draws you in and makes you ask questions, look for a message.

Many of the others are good experiments but I offer two directions here:

1. the word "design" comes from "designate" which means to assign (there's that word "sign" again) a meaning to something. I think the line between art and design is (and should be) a blurry one, but for me, graphic design attempts to convey a specific message or solve a specific problem. Usually it tries to invoke a particular reaction or behavior from the viewer. The images are interesting and even evocative but they just look like "cool images." Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the subtext of "what is the problem and how did the artist solve it?" is not readily apparent.

2. The REALLY DIFFICULT place to get to as a digital designer is where the work doesn't look like it was done by Photoshop or by Illustrator but by an artist. That just takes time and experience.

I believe you'll get a lot out of playing with these ideas and compositing techniques but that you'll grow bored and move in new directions - which is exactly the best way to keep growing.

Don't forget to focus on type design and do your history homework. Learning about the history of design and printing and bringing those ideas into the present will give you wonderful new directions in which you can apply your software techniques.

This is the long and hopefully not-too-harsh way of saying it's nice work but I see it as one dot on a much longer timeline that I believe will take you to even better places - a small part of a huge work in progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users