&nsbp;

#1 FireLizard

FireLizard

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

Good Morning Everone,

Attached is a copy of my first sports logo I created for a local youth bowling team. The team had a logo created for it already but was a bit to plain I thought, without be rude I asked the team mother if I could play around with making the team a logo of my own.

The team mother was quite excited to see what I could, as I am trying to start up a design company that also does T-shirts as well as Print and web graphics she was really into seeing what I could do.

The original design was a green bolwing ball with two pins one on each side (tilted diagonal) with a lane. No words just that symbol. Her son was the one to create the team and always spoke of how he derived the name. He would say that they call themselves the pin crushers as when the bowling ball leaves there hands thats what they all hope will happened (pins being crushed).

As you can see the logo is a bit cartoony but I think that was the best way I could get across the anger of the newly created mascot I have made for them.

Let me know what you think

~ Tim

#2 ram

ram

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

I think I would qualify it 2/12
Sorry man, the idea need LOTS of work.

#3 paris

paris

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have to agree with ram ... I don't know if it's meant, but the cartoon-character looks distorted. It looks as if you'd let a little kid draw some character he knows. The drawing doesn't look professional at all.

Also there's a better way to integrate the cartoon character into the logo.
I can only recommend to look at some examples. Don't copy them, but use them as a guideline as for what is possible using a character in your logo.
Examples of some nice logos with a cartooncharacter

#4 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

I agree. By the way what program are you using? It kinda looks like paint almost... (don't mean to be rude) but if you're even thinking about starting a buisness u need Illustrator and Photoshop. Hope this helps...

#5 steplat

steplat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

How old are you tim?

#6 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:18 AM

Hi Tim. Thanks for posting your stuff :)

Gotta be honest, I think you're taking an overly ambitious step. It takes most people years and years to begin drawing professionally. I would say, to start with, consider whether you want to invest a good amount of time in it or not. If you do, keep at it but understand that it's definitely going to take a few years before the practice pays off. That goes for any beginning artist, so it's pretty much unavoidable.

If you're serious about it, I would strongly recommend registering in some beginner-level drawing or illustration classes at your local college or university. Getting people's thoughts on a forum --especially about the finished product-- probably won't prove very useful at this point. We are all expecting a certain level of professionalism which takes a long time to attain. That's simply not present in your work for the time being.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide!

Edited by _Redrum, 01 October 2008 - 02:22 AM.

#7 2ndFloorDesign

2ndFloorDesign

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

I agree with Redrum. You've got lots of ambition kid, but it takes years of practice to be strong enough to sell your illustrations. Schooling is a wonderful thing....

Good luck with it all.

#8 jmgarrido

jmgarrido

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

one only thing : keep working !!!

#9 gdeetan

gdeetan

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

Greetings!

Logo needs a lot of work, looks too clipartish sorry for being blunt. But don't be discouraged, practice practice practice... learn from the experts.

#10 HWorks

HWorks

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

I think you gotta work on simplifing your work. Logos and logotypes selling point is their simplicity and their ability to stay in people's mind with a couple of shapes. This is something that can't happen whenever you make something too complex.

Try to delete useless lines and shades whenever they are not needed and to choose simpler fonts; to make circular shapes more precise (try making the bowl rounder and to delete that white/green shade, and see what comes out)
Good luck!

Edited by HWorks, 28 October 2008 - 05:54 PM.

#11 silverink

silverink

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

you have the right idea!! just need to work more on your skills, i guess that for a first logo its not that bad, but i really suggest to keep playing around with the programs and keep doing logos and you'll see how everytime you'll get a more professional result.

#12 Winter artwork

Winter artwork

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

my advice? create a folder with every single professional mascot and sports logo you can find....study them, study their style and learn my friend

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users