• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Hi Everyone, I designed this site in the beginning as an entry for Zen Garden, but have fell in love with it...though I am not sure why.

It isnt nearly completed (clients come first), but would like some input, especially on where to add some color.

The cool thing about this layout is the only graphic is the header and the tree in the lower right hand corner. Speed of loading it tremendously fast.

It views well in IE, but needs some work for Firefox.
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#2 netware

netware

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

its clean and neat, loads really fast, what you think if you change the background color of the site to make it stand more the site as a whole, a contrasting color that will make the site stand out more
------------------------------------------------
Netware design studios - Designer -
http://www.ntwdesigns.com/index.html

#3 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

As stated above, making the background a different color would enhance the whole thing already
Try to make it more "One piece". It's somewhat floating in my browser now.

If you are a design studio, your website is like a business card for you.
With that in mind, watch at your own site trough the eyes of a possible client.

Would you be like "Nice site, looks good."... or like "Wow! Nice stuff! Lemme see what this one can do for me?"

I get bored of your site. Perhaps me, for seeing to much eyecandy all over the world already. But enhance it more. And as you said, add color.

If you stick with grayscales mainly, I'd say add some pink tones in it.
Pink is funky. Does not have to draw to much attention, but surely can push up the level of your site.

#4 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for the input....pink is an excellent idea....when I get done working on the 2 client sites I have now, I will give that a shot :)
You MUST be an Elite Designer to enter the contests. Please go to www.designcontest.net and follow the link that says "Love to Design" to get more information and the requirements for joining. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

#5 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Ys, try to include some color(s) to spice it up a little bit because the grey can put us asleep sometimes. :)
Besides, making some connections grey->cold->winter->leefless trees... I don't know if you make that on purposes but not real helpfull to show some portfolio in this activity.
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#6 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

Hi Guetizo, in answer to your question: The lifeless bonsai photo was so stunning that I decided to make it into a website...it was actually going to be an entry for css zen garden.

I had to move my residence, and after 3 months of being offline, it was the only layout I had completed when I got back online...I am not really sure if I am going to keep this layout at this point (not for my site at least).

Thanks for the input!

#7 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hi,

Hi Guetizo, in answer to your question: The lifeless bonsai photo was so stunning that I decided to make it into a website...it was actually going to be an entry for css zen garden.

Thanks for you answer.
I never occur that tree is a bonsai, forgive me... I'm used to see a bonsai with leafs and of course it's carefull treatment, you know... cut this leaf here, and that over there.
So, a lifeless bonsai must to have a special meaning behind so that you felt in love with, but the all the ambience, the bonsai motive layout itself, IMHO, doesn't convey the message that you are trying to pass in your website.

I had to move my residence, and after 3 months of being offline, it was the only layout I had completed when I got back online...I am not really sure if I am going to keep this layout at this point (not for my site at least).

Try to turn around. Remove the lifeless bonsai and put a new one full of life! And then work around the image, and you'll see that everything positive, joyfull will defenately come out, and you'll end up with a beautifull site.
Think about it! ;)

Thanks for the input!

You're welcome.

Sorry for my poor english but - as you guess - it's not my mother language. :p
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#8 greenidentity

greenidentity

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

As many before me have said, it would be better to have some contrasting colours in your layout. I do not know if the "logo" is a place holder or not, but if you use it only temporary, I would suggest to have some colours in it to bring the whole layout "alive".
I like the site because it is simple and not too difficult to navigate but if you want another suggestion, I would clean up a little the text part of it by using a smaller, or different type of font.

All you need is to enhance it a little and it will look even better :)

#9 Diaforic

Diaforic

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

Nice design, reminds me a bit of "the Ring". But the tree to the right that is static makes my browser somewhow slow.
Regards

#10 nevadabadgirl

nevadabadgirl

Guru

• Designer
  • 4217 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the input all...I will probably be changing this site..I have a prospective client who is more in love with it than I am.... :)

#11 retlaw

retlaw

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:58 AM

"Wickedly Powerful" describes this page to me. I absolutly love the tree image. I have been on a dark red kick latley...I would like to see what could be done with that. Or to add some life a dark green tint to the background. Love the tree image!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users